Friday, March 28, 2008

Let The Moving Begin!

Tomorrow a sort of March Madness hits Gokase. Tomorrow is Saturday and I'll be working. Tomorrow I'll be helping several of my neighbors move out and several new neighbors move in.

Back in late September, I moved from Takachiho to Gokase. I actually wanted to move from the moment I set foot in my apartment in Takachiho in early August, but for whatever reason(s), I had to wait until September 29th to officially move to Gokase. In any case, starting about a week or so before the moving date, my supervisor kept asking me what time I was going to move. And, to his frustration, I kept telling him that I had no clue.

Around that time, I also decided to start bringing some of my belongings from Takachiho to Gokase on an almost daily basis, so that by the time the 29th came along, mostly just bigger items, such as the washing machine and a shelving unit, remained. By moving things gradually and with my supervisor's help, the move was anything but a headache.

It turns out that my supervisor kept asking me what time I would be moving because my neighbors were planning to help with the move. So I guess I sort of ruined the party. But I was so new here, I felt uncomfortable asking for help from, well, strangers.

Anyway, fast forward back to the present.

As I've mentioned before, most of the teachers and staff in my little town live in teacher/staff housing. So the new teachers can't move in until the "old" teachers move out. In order to apply a method to the madness, an "official" document has been created listing the move-out dates and times of all those who are moving.

I'm really not looking forward to helping out, truth be told. I mean, I'm glad to help, because it's important to make the new teachers feel as at home here as my neighbors made me feel when I moved in. (They were and still are really so very nice!) But I guess I'd prefer to limit my participation in all the moving in and moving out to one or two cases, rather than being volunteered for each and every move (from the sound of it).

Yeah. So lucky me. I get to wake up early tomorrow to help out. And on Sunday, too. Joy, joy.

No comments: