Thursday, March 27, 2008

One, Two, Three -- Ichi, Ni, San

I've had a driver's license (or learner's permit at least) since I was about 16, or maybe even 15. I've driven cars in America, Canada, England, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Holland, Slovenia, Croatia, and Italy, and probably a couple of other countries that I'm forgetting about (Belgium? Poland?). I've also driven a moped in Greece. And I've been driving in Japan for the past 8 months or so.

I've had or have driver's licenses issued from California, Ohio, Vermont, and South Carolina, but I've never had a driver's license issued from a foreign country. I once lived in Germany for more than two years and was supposed to get a German license after my first year there, but I chose not to.

(Actually, at the end of my first stay in Germany, which lasted for one year, I applied for a German license. At the time, from what I remember, the process was incredibly simple. I just showed them my California license, filled out some paperwork, and was told to come back in a few weeks. But when the time came to pick up my license and pay the amazingly low fee of something like the equivalent of $10 (or was it 5?), I decided against it. I thought to myself something like, "I'm never going to need the license so why should I give up the money?" Big mistake. I regret that decision to this day. But that's life.)

I've been pulled over by the police several times in Germany (and even once just a few minutes after driving across the the border from Austria into Slovenia) for various, mostly random reasons (such as sobriety checks and, believe it or not, "suspicious" behavior), they never issued me a citation, asked to see my International Driver's License (which I sometimes had and other times [in violation of the law?] did not have), or questioned why I didn't have a German license. I simply presented my California license every time, spoke English despite the fact that I'm fluent in German, and played dumb. Lucky for me, that worked like a charm.

Despite all my years and my range of driving experience, come August 5, 2008 I'll need to have a Japanese Driver's License. At least, if I want to stay within the law that is. Which I probably do, considering that I'll most certainly lose my job if I get in trouble with the law over here.

I know that passing the driving test in Europe (or at least in Germany and Austria) is no picnic and that failing once, twice, or even three or more times is not uncommon. But folks, that test is nothing at all compared to the test I will have to take over here.

Have a look (and a laugh) for yourself (as excerpted from http://miyazakiajet.com/msg dated August 25, 2006):

*******************************************

Preparing for the Driving Test

Driving for the test involves elaborate rituals that you need to rehearse thoroughly. It is not an assessment of whether or not you can drive. Many people fail the first time they take the test and failure is almost guaranteed unless you study with a driving teacher. Most driving teachers don’t speak English, but you can bring a friend to sit in the back seat and translate. Everyone should practice at least two or three hours with a teacher (the Driving Test Center recommends 5 hours). Some teachers will take you to a local driving course. Others will take you to the actual driving course. You pay extra to rent time on the real course, as stated above.

Before the day of the test, it is recommended to spend at least an hour driving on the actual course. Reserve a practice time, bring your own vehicle and pay the course fee with special “stamps” purchased at a local government office. There are two possible driving courses and the morning you apply for a license you will be informed one hour before the test of which course you should follow. You are allowed to walk the course route to practice and memorize it. If you pass the test on your first try (it can happen) there are fees to pay and paperwork to finish before your license is issued. If you fail the test, the examiners expect you to do more practice with a driving teacher. The examiners know all the teachers in the area so lying is not advised. After you practice, you have to go back to the Driving Test Center on a different day at the appropriate time to take the test. Please pay 2,400 yen again.

Things to know

Before entering the car: Look right and say “migi ok”. Look left and say “hidari ok”.

After entering the car (assuming automatic transmission): Adjust the rear view mirror. Check before closing the door. Adjust the seat. Fasten the safety belt. Put your foot on the brake. Start the car. Put the car in drive. Release the emergency brake. Turn on the right signal to turn out. Look behind your left shoulder; say “ichi”. Look in the rear view mirror; say “ni”.Look behind your right shoulder; say “san”. You may drive forward.

Driving the course: Stay one meter from the left curb or white line. If you are in the right lane or make a right turn, drive 50 cm from the center line. Never drive over white dot in the center of the intersections. Before braking, hit the brake three times to blink the lights and say “ichi, ni, san”. On left turns, look over your left shoulder to check for bicyclists and scooters, and say “makigomi check.”

*******************************************

Of course, in reality, no one goes through all those ridiculous rituals. Except when they have to take the driving test.

Wish me luck.

No comments: