Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Why the Japanese like to suffer, reason #7156

On my walk to school this morning, Moto told me about an annual ritual that we will be involved in some time in April or May (he's not sure of the exact date). He said that all of the residents of my little town, Gokase, are going to be flushing the sewer that day with water coming out of fire hoses. For about 3 or 4 hours. Rain or shine (it rained on them last year)! On one of our days off! Supposedly, if the sewer isn't cleaned, the water won't flow properly. And if the water doesn't flow properly, we will have way too many mosquitoes. Yeah, sure. I buy that. I think I'm going to be sick that day. Or maybe I'll actually participate this year, just to say, "Been there, done that." But count me out next year. And the following year. And the following year. And the following year...

No comments: