Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Million Morning Musings

Yes, she's still wrapped in a blanket... And she's still shuffling her feet wherever she goes. And she's still sneezing... And she's still sniffling every five, no make that three, seconds... Oh, and it's almost always a double sniff. Just in case you're the one who is preparing the SNL skit about my life here in the teacher's office. I need to find my own workspace before I go nuts.

And, yes, the other "she" is still sucking wind through her teeth. I don't get it. Never will.

I'm thinking about making my own odd sound or sounds to see how people around me react. Perhaps I should groan. Or "meow meow." Or "oink oink." Or make a buzzing sound. Do you have a suggestion?

The cherry blossoms have started to bloom, just not in Gokase.

When do the heaters get put away? I mean, what's the official date for that to happen?

And when are the teachers going to start wearing short-sleeve shirts again? It's certainly too cold for that now, but the weather conditions never stopped anyone from doing anything crazy around here before.

Am I going to have to "do a self-introduction" again when the new first-graders get here, or will it suffice for me to introduce myself?

Remember the sewer/gutter cleaning I mentioned recently? Well, I just found out this morning that that fine event is taking place on Sunday, April 20. That sucks. My baseball coach and neighbor invited me to run in a cross-country race with him that day. But that was before he knew when we had to do the dirty work. Now he says he's not going to run. He told me that I can still run if I want, but he suggested that I also participate in the cleaning, since it's a very important local activity. So guess what I'll be doing on April 20? Ugh. The cleaning "runs" from about 8 a.m. until about 11 a.m. and will be followed by, what else? A party.

When I left my apartment this morning, the temperature was 4 degrees (Celsius) on the plus side. Which is cold. But the 4 degrees felt more like 10 degrees. I'm not sure how that works. I've heard of wind chill lowering the feel of the temperature, but what force raises the feel of the temperature? Sunlight?

Today is April 1. It's the first day of the new fiscal year. Over here, I think everyone knows that. I guess primarily because the new fiscal year also marks the start of the school year. A couple people asked me when the fiscal year starts in the U.S. I told them I think it's July 1, but that I wasn't sure.

It's also April Fool's Day. That means that in America, people will be telling lies today, followed by "April fool!" In Germany and Austria, people will do the same (though, at least in my experience, to a much lesser degree) and say "April April!" (pronounced in German, of course). Here? No chance. Maybe I should start a trend. Maybe I should go around and tell lies and then say "shigatsu shigatsu!" But that just doesn't sound right.

Just about everyone is back at "work" today. Today will be filled with meetings. The first one is going on right now and should be over in about 20 minutes. I guess not too many teachers have to attend that one. But the next meeting starts at 10. I think that one's for everyone. Maybe that even includes me.

You know how I told you a bit about how the teachers are forced to move from school to school (usually) against their will? Well, I didn't do a good enough job explaining all that is involved in that. Sooner or later, I'll try to add some more comments regarding the emotional part of that situation. But I think you can imagine for yourself how sad some of the teachers and their loved ones are to leave. Some of them seem almost traumatized, although I bet they get over that in a hurry.

In any case, there's more to the story. Today, from what I understand, some teachers will be switching desks. Yes, even a teacher's desk location isn't sacred! Obviously, I'm hoping some teachers will be moved away from me and closer to Siberia. But that probably won't happen. I'm also hoping that some people won't move.

For instance, I hope the "lunch lady" stays next to me. I haven't spread out my relatively few items over to her desk, but since she's never around, except for when we have meetings, I suppose I have the option of the additional space. And she's one less person who can bug me, right?

And I hope the situation in the upstairs teachers' room changes as little as is necessary (one teacher up there got transferred). Why? Well, the five teachers who are up there, including my supervisor, are really cool. Plus, there's the added benefit of the desk up there that is only sparingly used. Meaning I often get to use it. When I want to escape from downstairs. Or when I want a change of pace.

Think about it. Downstairs, where my desk is located, just about every other teacher sits, including the two vice-principals. (The principal has a separate office.) The lucky ones are the upstairs teachers, the science teachers, the PE teachers, the home economics teacher, the "shop" teacher, the music teacher, and the art and calligraphy teachers. Because they all have offices elsewhere in the school and therefore have more freedom and peace and quiet. In some ways, I like the idea of having a room for (almost) all of the teachers. But I also want (and need!) some space sometimes.

Anyway, it's 9:55. That first meeting is obviously over because the teachers' room is filling up, not only with people, but also with various noises. The next meeting starts in five. Gotta go.

April fool! I just checked with my supervisor and it turns out I can stay downstairs (the meeting is upstairs in the conference room). So I'm all alone. Turns out I do get that occasional peace and quiet I desire.

Since I barely understand Japanese, it kind of makes sense that I don't have to attend most meetings. Then again, I've heard that for the Japanese, attendance at group activities is just about as important as participation. And today is the day when the new teachers introduce themselves to the rest of the staff. So maybe I should have stayed up there. What would you have done?

This whole not being very good at the language thing is obviously problematic (to varying degrees) at times. One example: The other day, the post office tried to deliver a package to me. I wasn't home, so the mailman left a notice behind. Moto was kind enough to do me the favor of calling the post office up this morning and telling them that the best place to deliver the package is school, since I'm always here. On the phone, Moto pretended to be me, even though I'm sure he didn't have to. I guess the person on the other end didn't believe Moto, but Moto said, "I am a foreigner, but I happen to speak Japanese well." April fool!

Because I'm not teaching any classes this week, I've decided to come to school "late" all week, as in 8:30. While climbing the hill near school, I spotted three elderly ladies ahead of me, walking at a snail's pace. "Oh, yeah, it's those croquet/golf ladies," I thought. When they saw me, one of them, the one I talked to last time, said something like, "Oh, good." I wasn't quite sure why, or if indeed I had heard correctly, until she started reaching into her bag.

Right away, I knew that meant I was going to get a little treat. And sure enough, she pulled out a little (individually wrapped) cookie for me. Wasn't that sweet of her? I tell you, so many of the Japanese people I've met are so kind! I took our picture once again, but this time I snapped all four of us. And I guess in return for the cookie, I'll make each of them a print of the picture. But that means I'll probably get more goodies from them. And then I'll have to give them more goodies. And they'll give me more. And I'll give them more. And and and.

And that's all folks!

No comments: