Friday, April 10, 2009

New Students Welcome Ceremony

When kids start school in Japan, it's a pretty big deal. The new students welcome ceremony is probably the most formal ceremony besides graduation.

So once again, the teachers bust out their black suits and mostly wear white underneath, including white ties for the men. (You'd almost think everyone was going to a funeral, except that then the ties would be black.)

About six months ago, I bought a white tie for just such occasions, but I’ve yet to wear it.

Just like at the welcome ceremony last year, I prefer to go with a more colorful look. So I’m wearing a dress shirt that has a combination of orange, pink, and white, and my tie is mostly dark blue with yellow whales on it. (It sounds wilder than it looks.) I’m not the only teacher not wearing white on white, but we are certainly in the minority.

Before the ceremony begins, the second-graders decorate the first-graders' classroom. I'm not positive that's a Japan-wide thing, but I bet it is. Unfortunately, most Japanese fail to ask me to check their English before they make big signs, so sometimes the signs have slightly ridiculous things written on them.

Take a look at one of the two chalkboards that the second-graders decorated this year. I absolutely love it, since it expresses how I feel quite often. I really got a kick out of it.

(For some more detailed info regarding today’s ceremony, read this blog I wrote about it last year.)

No comments: