Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Countdown City











The kids at my school love countdowns. The annual Forestopia Festival (involving a one-day sports festival and a two-day art festival) kicks off in a few days, and when I arrived at school today, I saw a sign reminding me that there are four days to go. (The sign is posted in front of the students entrance to the school, which is about 150 feet from the main entrance, which is also for the teachers.)














There's also a countdown that shows the number of days left until the seniors take the annual "Center Test," which is basically an SAT-like college entrance exam that is given all over the country on the same day.











And the first-year junior-high students have the mega-countdown calendar, which includes how many days until the next time they go home, until they finish the school year, until they graduate(!), and until the Forestopia festival.











Since my time at this school is limited, especially now that my fourth and possibly next-to-last year has started, I tend to think about how many days I have left here. But I prefer doing things the Muhammad Ali way: Don't count the days. Make the days count!

No comments: